Getting ready for the arrival of summer? One thing that you should do is to prep up with some outdoor furniture in the patio, garden, pool area, or any other space where you can enjoy the warm weather. Whether it is outdoor dining tables, benches, lounges, storage, and chairs, among others, you can make the outdoors look better. However, aside from the right choice of the furniture to have at home, emphasis should also be given on how to take care of it, making sure that it will remain functional and attractive even for an extended period of time.
Before we discuss some of the things that can be done to protect your outdoor furniture, it is important to first know some of the most common problems that will require your attention. The following are some of many homeowners’ most common complaints about household furniture:
- Mold and Mildew Formation
- Water Rings
- Rust and Stains
- Heat Damage
More often than not, outdoor furniture will only be put into use during the summer season, where the sun is inviting people to spend more time on the patio or garden. During the winter or rainy season, on the other hand, they should be stored properly. With proper storage, it is possible to have it protected against damage. Before you store your outdoor furniture, the first thing that you have to do is to clean it up. Using protective coating, such as a coat of car or paste wax, will also be helpful. It will also be good if you can invest in furniture cover to provide it with protection against dust.
Read Specific Instructions
This is one of the most important things to do, but unfortunately, there are many people who fail to do so. The instruction manual from the manufacturer should be always read. One furniture can be different from the other, which means that they are also being protected in different ways. For instance, the specific material will have an impact on how it is cleaned. There are some cleaning materials and techniques that will not prove to be as effective when it is used in glass furniture as against when it is sued with wicker.
Consider the Material
As it has been mentioned above, protecting your outdoor furniture from damage will depend on the specific material from where it is made of. With such, the following are some of the most common materials for outdoor furniture and how to take care of them.
- Wicker: Make sure to have it vacuumed regularly with a soft bristle brush. It will also be good if you can cover it up as being more exposed outdoors when it is too cold can cause it to be stiff. If the paint chips off through time, make sure to have it covered up the soonest possible time, even before the problem gets worse. If you have outdoor chairs made of wicker, adding a padded cushion seat will help to extend its lifespan.
- Wood: It is important to always inspect outdoor wooden furniture. Look for possible cracks and when there are many, have it sealed the soonest possible time. By doing this early, you are doing something to prevent further damage due to penetration of water. More so, even if there is stubborn dirt, never use pressure washer as this can damage the quality of the wood. Rubbing the surface with wood oil after cleaning will also be helpful to be provided with added layer of protection.
- Plastic: Acetic acid is one of the best cleaning materials that can be used for plastic furniture. This can be done by mixing one cup of white vinegar with five liters of water. This will provide you with a cleaning solution that is tough on dirt but gentle on plastic. Your plastic furniture should not be exposed to too much heat as this can make it deformed in the long run.
- Glass: While this may not be the most common material for outdoor furniture, it is still being used, such as in the case of table tops. When cleaning glass, make sure to use a dry, soft cloth and have it dried with a lint-free cloth. If the cloth is rough, this can cause scratches on the surfaces and will affect the appeal of the glass. Wipe the surface as often as possible as it can easily attract fingermarks and dust.
Outdoor furniture can prove to be an expensive investment. Because of this, make sure to pay attention to the things that have been mentioned above for its highest level of protection. By keeping these things in mind, it will be possible for the outdoor furniture to withstand the test of time, and more importantly, will be able to preserve its best possible look. At the end of the day, it is not that hard to offer care that is necessary for outdoor furniture.